Munnar was a very small place when I first visited it in the late seventies. It had very few or no tourists, because it was not really well developed. This place is in the border of Tamil Nadu and Kerala and is present in Idukki district. There are various places of interest in and near Munnar.
Over the years the place has developed in leaps and bounds. The place is now considered to be one of the best hill stations in India. Along with the development has come the consequences and that is the pollution that goes with the commercialization of the place. The virgin country has now become a place that is full of buildings that try to compete with each other to accommodate people.
Some of the very interesting aspects of this beautiful land in God's own country are :
1. The tea estates: The tea estates are one of the best in the country. The plantations are done on the slopes of the hills and you can walk through these estates. There are a few coffee plantations too in the hills and most of these plantations on the hills of Munnar are either owned by Kannan Devan Tea or by Tata tea. These companies have their own offices here in Munnar and if you are lucky, you could also visit one of their tea factories and you can watch the method in which the tea leaves are processed into wither tea dust or tea leaves.
2. Tata Tea Museum: Though it is nothing to boast about, the museum has a collection of various items that are of the British era and can be a nice place to visit to learn about the history of the place. It is open on all days other than Mondays.
3. The Church: There is a CSI church in the place, that was built as early as 1910. It is a unique building with good architecture.
Places near Munnar:
There are various places near this beautiful hill town that are as picturesque as Munnar and they are:
1. Mattupetty Dam: The dam is about 14 kilometers away from Munnar and is a beautiful place to visit.
2. The Eravikulam National Park: This is probably the only place where you will be able to see the Nilgiri Thar, also commonly called as the mountain goat. You can even trek through the park and if you are lucky enough, you can see many of these animals.
3. Anamudi: This is the tallest peak in South India and you will be able to visit this place that is quite close to Munnar.
4. Idukki Dam: Idukki Dam is one of the largest dams in India and is built in between three mountains and the water stretches for a long distance.
There are many other places that are also of importance that can be visited from Munnar. The place can be reached by road and you can reach Munnar by road either from Cochin or from Coimbatore.
About Author / Additional Info: