There are various leaders we would have come across who we might feel that they were just born to be leaders. Leaders have some specific qualities which make them unique from others. A leader is someone who has the ability to influence the group and to lead them for shared goals.
Behaviors are inherited in leaders but all other qualities are acquired.
Some of the qualities that a leader needs are
1. Personal magnetism: The ability to attract others by their unique personality
2. Face value: The way a person looks reflects his leadership style. A confident look shows that a person is dynamic in his leadership.
3. Persons appearance: The way a person dresses and portrays also depicts his leadership.
4. Poise: A good leader makes and shows himself well mannered and behaved before others.
5. Self confident: This is very important for a leader since it helps him to take risks and face consequences.
6. Initiative: A leader has to be willing to accept and learn things from others
7. Perseverance: A leader is one who never gives up. He sets an example in moving forward even when others recede.
8. Hard work: A leader works hard for a common goal to be achieved.
9. Continual practice of what you have learned: leaders practice what they learn. They need to lead and practice what they teach.
10. Discipline: This makes any one a man. This is quite essential since a leader has to order himself and keep himself in control before controlling others.
Leadership is the behavior of an individual when he is directing the activities of the group towards a common goal.
There are various leadership styles that people follow .They are
3. Laissez fair
• Leadership is by one person
• There is one control
• The leader is responsible for making decisions and for setting goals
• Initially the output by the employees might be more
• Here there is no freedom given to the employees to make decisions or give suggestions
• There is increased stress among the employees
• This style is useful in crisis management
• The leader manipulates others to listen to him.
• Here the leader values the individuals characteristics and accepts their suggestions
• He analyses everyone's potential and he uses personal and potential power to draw ideas from the members of the organization.
• He motivates the staff towards achievement of a common goal
• Encourages staff to set goals
• Allows them to plan and execute the task
• Gives them freedom to make decisions
• This is a "let alone policy"
• There is no control and the people are left to take their own decisions
• There is no head to supervise or guide the people
• The employees are left without supervision, direction, co-ordination or evaluation
• There is no goals set or motivation given to the employees
• This is the most preferred method of leadership
• Here the leader takes the decision but he allows the group to give suggestions.
• It is a compromise between an autocratic and a democratic style
• There is control over the employees and discipline
• The employees are motivated ,supported, guided and supervised for the work done
• The leader sets goals for the group and leads them to achieve it.
Other leadership styles are:
Thus leaders are formed in heaven might not be completely true since they are being formed each day as they are in the society.
About Author / Additional Info: