While, I was studying my management education, I used to think that we should have a common platform where we can meet our old friends, relatives and so on. We were using Orkut with the same concept. But, after five years I came across a platform called as "Facebook". As 82 million people in India are at Facebook, it proved to be a platform for anyone to share, give opinion, like the skills, content and so on. Whatever be the occasion people are sharing everything on the wall of Facebook page. Not only Facebook, we are now connected with twitter, Google+ and so on. But the high probability of people use twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and Google+ for their social activities and network.
It is really a great platform for the organizations to reach their target audience with in short period of time. Social Media Marketing is a platform where people share and like the content which they like most. It is from the research found that 75% of people in social media love to share the posted content if they really like it. It is the same old word of mouth marketing but the difference is that we are making it online. It is Word of mouth marketing powered by the online technology to build the brand in short span of time. Thanks to the Internet that we are hitting our target numbers through online. Social Media marketing is the platform or online technical tool used to build relationship, attract customers and keep in touch with them. It is a great way to get repeat business or even get referrals and leads.
The benefits can be, it is free and you can reach huge number of audience with one post. According to a research 73% of small and medium business organizations have started their social media marketing at an early stage. I believe it is really a great and competitive marketing tool for the startups without spending any amount of money on marketing campaigns. It was really a tough task for the marketers in the earlier days to spread the awareness for the brand. But now marketers can easily spread the word and build a brand online at no cost. Even though there are paid promoting tools in social media several business use free postings to market their products and services.
Several business organizations motto is to achieve profit and reduce the costs. Social media marketing really helps the organizations to reduce the cost of marketing and increase sales leads. It can be a point of sale or a platform for new and existing customers. Social Media marketing (SMM) really increases your website traffic. It is a supporting tool or link for your website to increase the online presence and branding.
In short what can be the benefits for social media marketing?
1. Online Brand building- Building the brand online is easier through Social Media. As long as you buzz your name, slogan, services, and products online you build your brand.
2. Marketing at no cost- There is no need to spend money for the marketing campaigns, but there are paid campaigns too.
3. Reach to huge number of audience- Presence of huge number of people in social media makes you to reach large number of target audience base.
4. Increase in the website traffic- Once you are on social media, people will surely love to visit your website. And if you are succeeded in social media then for sure your website traffic graph will increase.
5. External links for backlinks and Pagerank- As per the current algorithmic rules of SEO you need good links to optimize your website. Social Media links can help you to increase links which in turn can increase page rank for your website.
6. Supports in Search Engine Optimization- Sometimes the posted content or keywords in social media like Facebook and twitter can be a helpful tool in search engine optimization. If the search query and your posted keyword matched then the search engine will try to crawl your website. Your website may come up in some of the position in the search engine results.
7. Sales Leads- You can find sales leads, repeat business, and new customers in social media by interacting with your audience.
Here are few of the statistics about SMM:
• 89% of respondents said that social media marketing has generated more business exposure
• 64% saw lead generation increase by using social media 6 hours or less per day
• 69% of marketers use social media to gather marketplace intelligence
• 62% of marketers using social media for 2+ years reported a rise in search engine rankings
• 62% of businesses with 10 employees or less reported that social media has reduced marketing expenses
As discussed in the above these are few of the benefits through social media marketing. There are even good number of advantages through Social Media Marketing. But, if you are not doing it properly then there might be chances of fall down of brand value. It is suggested to understand the working of social media marketing before implementing it in your company.
SEO- Search Engine Optimization
SMM- Social Media Marketing
Data Resource- Chadwick Martin Bailey Consumer Pulse 2010, Socialmediatoday.com
About Author / Additional Info:
I am a certified Digital Marketer with experience in Sales and Marketing.