|A Collection of Informative and Interesting Articles|
|HOME||LOGIN||SUBMIT ARTICLES||TOP AUTHORS||WANT AN ACCOUNT?|
How to Enhance Self Esteem?BY: Bindu Bharathi | Category: Education | Submitted: 2013-12-18 04:36:56
Article Summary: "How to Enhance Self Esteem. This article outlines how to develop self esteem in an individual. It will helpful for the individual to identify their own abilities, potentialities and limitations. Most of them are having good talents but we are not utilizing our proficiency. Through this article author try to motivate all the p.."
HOW TO ENHANCE SELF-ESTEEM?
Author: Bindu.Bharathi, MSN, RN, RM, Lecturer, Faculty of Nursing, Northern Border University, Saudi Arabia.
Self esteem is essentially one's overall sense of self-competence and self worth. High self esteem makes one's personality and abilities. It empowers individuals to optimize their potential and to attain desired goals. Self esteem is an ongoing evaluation of an individual.
Self esteem can be broadly defined as the overall evaluation of oneself in either a positive or negative way.
According to H.S. Sullivan self esteem is all of those feelings of competence and personal worth that hold a person together.
3. COMPONENTS OF SELF ESTEEM
Self- competence: - It is a generalized sense of one's own efficacy or ability to deal
effectively with life's changes and to attain challenging goals.
Self- worth: - It is essentially accepting yourself unconditionally and having the feeling of being worthy of living and attaining happiness.
Self- competence and self- worth makes a person feel good about him or herself.
4. CHARACTERISTICS OF SELF- ESTEEM
Self- esteem is an evaluative phenomenon. It can include by the way one act- the way one walks, speaks or behaves. It is influenced by external and internal factors. Self- esteem is multi- dimensional i.e. Physical appearance, task performance, and interpersonal relations. It is otherwise called as Global self-esteem. It is a scale or continuum, i.e. ranging from the very negative to very positive or from low level to high level of self esteem. It can be learned and enhanced over a period of time.
5. IMPORTANCE OF SELF ESTEEM
Self- esteem is the key to success. If the person is having good self esteem, they are having productive behavior, best work performance, highly confident, ready to take challenging goals, having leadership skills, good interpersonal relationships and also they are maintaining psychological well being.
6. GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS OF INDIVIDUALS WITH HIGH SELF-ESTEEM
Worthy of living, self - confident, accept themselves unconditionally, seek continuous self- improvement, have peace within themselves, enjoy good interpersonal relationships, assume responsibility for their own lives, tolerate frustrations well, assertive, outgoing, willing to take calculated risks, loving and lovable, self- directed these are the characteristics of self esteemed person.
7. GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS OF INDIVIDUALS WITH LOW SELF- ESTEEM:
There are certain characteristics present in the low self esteemed person i.e. poor risk takers, afraid of competition or challenges, sarcastic, non- assertive, lack initiative, pessimistic, shy, indecisive, lack of self- acceptance, feel unlovable, blame others for their shortcomings, low aspirations.
8. FACTORS INFLUENCING SELF- ESTEEM
Family Environment, task proficiency and accomplishments, personal aspirations, self beliefs, academic achievements, physical appearance, feed back from other people are the factors which will influencing the development of self esteem.
9. HOW TO ENHANCE SELF- ESTEEM
High self- esteem, success and happiness are our birth right. Unfortunately many of us suffer from habitual feelings of self doubt, self- inadequacy and self- criticism. We are guilty of cheating ourselves of leading a more productive and happier life by succumbing to self- sabotaging behavior and consequently, not exploiting our full potential.
Model of Enhancing self- esteem, this will guide you towards re-engineering yourself
i.e. becoming the "New You" who is worthy of living and confident of coping with the basic
challenges in life. You can enhance your self - esteem by developing a positive self- image
and adopting new patterns of behavior.
1. Self-Image means your mental picture of yourself
2. Self- Awareness throws light on your existing beliefs and behavior.
3. Self- Acceptance is essentially respecting or loving you while acknowledging your shortcomings or limitations.
4. Taking charge of your life or Self- responsibility means taking responsibility for your life and actions.
5. Managing Yourself Successfully, it includes managing time successfully, practicing self discipline, maintaining perseverance and managing stress successfully.
6. Practicing Self- Renewal is necessary to sustain your efforts towards continuous self-improvement which helps to maintain or strengthen your level of self- esteem.
• Discover your true self.
• Make a list of what you like about yourself.
• Do not compare yourself negatively with others.
• Reengineer yourself.
• Accept 100% responsibility for your life and make a firm decision to change for the better.
• Lead a balanced life and seek continuous self-improvement
• Review progress towards attainment of your goals and take the necessary corrective action.
• Let go of your negative past and look to the future.
• Let go of perfectionism; no one is perfect
• Wake up happy
10. RATING YOUR OWN SELF- ESTEEM
Directions: Read through each of the following statements. Put a 'T' for TRUE in the space provided if a statement is generally true for you. Leave the space blank if it is not true. Be
honest in your responses.
1. I love myself
2. I tend not to worry about what the future holds
3. I can visualize myself doing well in my job/ career
4. I do ask questions when I am confused
5. I do not find fault with other people
6. I recover quickly from setbacks
7. I can admit my mistakes.
8. I get along well with others.
9. I feel comfortable in receiving and giving compliments.
10. I do not brag about myself.
11. I can be alone and not feel isolated.
12. I can make up my mind and stick to it.
13. I am eager to express opinions
14. I welcome constructive criticism.
15. I feel good about the achievements of others.
16. I am at ease with strangers
17. I do what I think is right even if others don't approve of it.
18. I am willing to take calculated risks.
19. I can express my true feelings.
20. I can tell others about my strengths or weakness.
Note: If 16 or more of your answers are TRUE, you have high self- esteem.
This article helps you to boost up your self esteem, which is the key to success in all areas of your life. Regardless of your experiences or age, you can enhance your self-esteem. It is essential for your professional and personal development.
1. Branden, Nathaniel. (1994) The Six Pillars of Self-Esteem. New York: Bantam.
2. Ranjit Singh Malhi. (2007) Enhancing Self- Esteem Reengineering Yourself for Success in the New Millennium. Self -Esteem Seminars, Malaysia.
3. Ranjit Singh Malhi. (2006) Enhancing Personal Quality, Empowering Yourself to Attain Peak Performance at Work. International Best Seller, Malaysia.
4. Wells, Joel. (1989) Who Do You Think You Are ? How to Build Self- Esteem. Chicago, Illinois: The Thomas More Press.
About Author / Additional Info:
Iam Bindu.Bharathi, MSN, RN, RM, Lecturer, Faculty of Nursing, Northern Border University, Saudi Arabia.In my credit International, National and State level publications of Scientific Research Articles. Iam the resource person person for National and International conferences.
Comments on this article: (0 comments so far)
• Tips on How to Buy a Car
• How is It Possible to Get the Perfect Probate Lawyer Omaha?
• Should Post-Divorce Co-parenting Training Be Mandatory?
• Unit Linked Insurance Plans (ULIPS) in India
Latest Articles in "Education" category:
• Reading Comprehension: Question-Text-Answer-Relationship (QTAR) Part 1
• Reading Comprehension: Question-Text-Answer-Relationship (QTAR) Part 2
• Reading Comprehension: Scan-Question-Read-Write-Review (SQRWR)
• Expository Poetry
• Context-Clue Strategy: Teaching Students Word Solving Skills-Part 1
• Context-Clue Strategy: Teaching Students Word Solving Skills-Part 2
• Attention Grabbers: Getting Students' Attention Without Shouting
Important Disclaimer: All articles on this website are for general information only and is not a professional or experts advice. We do not own any responsibility for correctness or authenticity of the information presented in this article, or any loss or injury resulting from it. We do not endorse these articles, we are neither affiliated with the authors of these articles nor responsible for their content. Please see our disclaimer section for complete terms.
Copyright © 2010 saching.com - Do not copy articles from this website.
|| Home | Disclaimer | Xhtml ||