|A Collection of Informative and Interesting Articles|
|HOME||LOGIN||SUBMIT ARTICLES||TOP AUTHORS||WANT AN ACCOUNT?|
5 Tips on Growing Tomatoes SuccessfullyBY: Stella Dawson | Category: Food | Submitted: 2010-12-29 09:47:19
Article Summary: "Tomato plant grows well and easily in an indoor vegetable garden. Learn tips and secrets to growing big, juicy tomato plant indoors, even if you do not have a garden or yard..."
Tomato is one of the most common vegetable plants for indoor vegetable gardening. Just take a look around the home gardens in your neighborhood; you will notice that it is not surprising to see the tomato plant in almost every home garden. Growing tomatoes is fairly easy as it does not require a lot of attention from the gardener during the time of growth. If you want your tomatoes to grow well, it simply takes ample water, enough sunlight, love and a little patience. This explains why the tomato plant is so popular among vegetable gardeners.
Tomatoes thrive in warm environments and do not usually grow as well outdoors during winter. If you desire to have tomatoes throughout the year, you can contemplate growing tomatoes indoors. Elimination of weeding is one of the biggest advantages of growing tomatoes indoor. However, as tomatoes require lots of sunshine, some gardeners might find the lighting in their homes too little. In such cases, a good alternative would be to use fluorescent lights.
Regardless of the type of tomatoes that you wish to grow, here are a few tips that would be helpful to you.
1. Temperature: Tomatoes grow better in warm temperatures. To create the environment for your tomatoes to grow strong and healthy, you should keep the indoor temperature at 70 degrees Fahrenheit at all times.
2. Soil Requirement: Soil is vital in growing any plants. To ensure greater success in growing tomatoes, you will have to put in some effort in preparing the soil. Mix the soil well with compost and rotten manure if you are using sandy soil. Alternatively, you can also mix the soil with sphagnum, vermiculite or peat moss. This will give your tomato plant with the nutrients that it requires.
3. Proper Drainage: Just like any indoor container plants, drainage is significant to the survival of the tomato plant. Avoid having stagnant water in the pot to prevent the roots from rotting. There should be drainage holes at the base of the pot to ensure good drainage.
4. Transplanting: Having a robust root system encourages the production of big, juicy tomatoes. Once the seedlings reach about 3 inches height, transplant your tomato plant into a deep and big container that has room for the roots to grow. While transplanting the seedlings over, do take extra care to ensure the roots are not damaged.
5. Fertilizers: Fertilizers are important elements for the growth in tomato plants. As soon as you have transplanted your tomato plant into the new container, you can begin to add some fertilizers to make your plant healthier. Do remember to water them well too. The soil should always be moist but not soggy.
Growing tomatoes can be fun and rewarding. It does not require a lot of your time and it can also be a way to de-stress for busy, city dwellers. Besides, growing tomatoes can also be a time for your family to bond over gardening time. This can be especially fun and enriching if you have young kids at home.
Remember that tomatoes grow well almost anywhere. As long as you practice the above tomato growing tips, you should be on your way to expecting a good harvest. Perhaps, you should start thinking about how you want to savor your juicy homegrown tomatoes.
About Author / Additional Info:
Grow an indoor vegetable garden easily by visiting my Indoor Vegetable Gardening Blog at http://www.indoorvegetablegardeningtips.com Get gardening tips and learn how you can grow your own vegetables indoor, effortlessly.
Comments on this article: (0 comments so far)
• Using Reverse Phone Searches - Benefits and How-To
• Grade School to Significant College Training Via Dwelling Schooling
• The Amazing Features That Can Be Seen on an Apple IPad
• Post Presidential Election Scenario For Election 2014
Latest Articles in "Food" category:
• What an Anemic Girl Can Eat?
• Importance Of Human Breast Milk
• Protein Rich Chick Pea Soya Salad
• McDonalds + Infant Formula = BAD IDEA!!!
• Chemical Reactions Involved in the making of Invert Sugar Syrup
• Cholesterol Free Food Storage Are Much in Demand Now.
• Anton Posniak Designs Restaurants You'll Love!
Important Disclaimer: All articles on this website are for general information only and is not a professional or experts advice. We do not own any responsibility for correctness or authenticity of the information presented in this article, or any loss or injury resulting from it. We do not endorse these articles, we are neither affiliated with the authors of these articles nor responsible for their content. Please see our disclaimer section for complete terms.
Copyright © 2010 saching.com - Do not copy articles from this website.
|| Home | Disclaimer | Xhtml ||