A community of people who love to write
The easiest domain name (Note the .ORG) - Absolutely Free!
Home | Submit Articles | Login
What is Cholesterol | How to Reduce Cholesterol Level Naturally?BY: Jessica | Category: Health and Fitness | Post Date: 2009-07-23
What is Cholesterol?
Cholesterol is a greasy substance found in certain foods (meat, eggs, milk etc..) and it is also produced by our own body in the lever. Cholesterol is important for our body but it only needs a small amount to fulfill it's needs. High cholesterol can cause Coronary Heart Disease and lead to heart attacks. Cholesterol can't dissolve in blood.
There are four main types of Cholesterols:
1. Low density lipoproteins (LDL): It can cause buildup of plaque on the walls of arteries. It's nic-named as "Bad cholesterol". LDL should be below 129 mg/dL.
2. High density lipoproteins (HDL): It lowers the level of bad cholesterol in blood, which has made it to earn the nic-name "Good cholesterol" . An acceptable HDL range is between 40- 60 mg/dL. HDL actually helps fight the risk of heart attack and/or stroke.
3. Very low density lipoproteins (VLDL): It mostly fat and very less protein. It is similar to LDL Cholesterol.
4. Triglycerides: High triglycerides are not good for the body. They are usually produced by excess sugar, calories and alcohol. The optimal number for your triglycerides would be anything 150 or less.
There are several factors which effect the level of Cholesterol in our body: Weight, Age , Gender, Diet, Exercise, Heredity and many more.
How much Cholesterol is acceptable?
In a a fasting cholesterol test your levels should ideally be less than 200 points. 240 points or more is considered quite high.
How to Reduce Cholesterol? Ways to reduce level of cholesterol without medication (naturally)
1. By eating low cholesterol foods.
3. Quit smoking.
4. Taking medication as advised by your doctor.
5. Lose excessive weight.
6. Reduce (or avoid) red meat.
7. Lower oils / ghee / butter consumption.
8. Take Multivitamins.
9. Reduce stress.
10. Eat foods rich in fiber and drinking water.
11. Become a vegetarian.
12. Make a Commitment.
13. Pay attention to food nutrition labels.
14. Get a complete lipid panel cholesterol test done every year.
15. Some studies suggest that Vitamin E and C, Green Tea, Guggu, Policosanol, Garlic and Fish Oil (Omega-3) may also help to lower cholesterol naturally.
Article Source: http://www.saching.com
About Author / Additional Info:
* Evaluate Fuel Rates - Going Green Has Fees Going Up
* Love Marriage Vs Arranged Marriage - Which one is better?
* How to get jobs using Social networking?
* Cyber crimes - Internet bane. Online crime prevention and security
* Indian Stock Market - A good time to invest in shares
Does this article violate or infringe on your copyright ?
It is a violation of our terms for authors to submit content which they did not write and claim it as their own. If this article infringes on your copyrights, then use our Contact us form with the detailed proof of infringement along with the offending article's title, URL and writer name. If you do not hear back from us then contact us again in another 10 days. Thank you.
Comments on this article: (0 comments so far)
* Additional comments are now closed for this article *
Article Views: 2183
Copyright © 2010 saching.com - Do not copy articles from this website.
Important Disclaimer: All articles on this website are for general information only and is not a professional or experts advice. We do not own any responsibility for correctness or authenticity of the information presented in this article, or any loss or injury resulting from it. We do not endorse these articles, we are neither affiliated with the authors of these articles nor responsible for their content. Please see our disclaimer section for complete terms.