A community of people who love to write
The easiest domain name (Note the .ORG) - Absolutely Free!
Home | Submit Articles | Login
Use of hot and cold fomentations in treating pain and other problemsBY: David Prakash Kumar | Category: Health and Fitness | Post Date: 2009-08-13
Cold and hot fomentations have been used for many years now to treat people with various ailments. Hot fomentations are more common than cold fomentations. Pain is the most common problem that is treated with hot fomentations. In a early stage of an injury cold fomentations can be given to treat the condition. As the condition becomes sub acute, hot fomentations replace the cold fomentations.
The use of fomentations is on the rise all over the world. Fomentations are being used in hospitals, homes, spas and health resorts. The fomentations have a relaxing effect on the body of the people who are given fomentations.
Effect of fomentations:
The temperature increases on being given hot fomentations. This causes an increase in the blood flow in the body of the person affected. The increased blood flow causes the transport of nutrients from the other parts of the body to the wounded site and so helps in increasing the rate of healing. The increased blood supply to the injured part also helps in removing all the debris from the affected area.
Uses of fomentations:
There are various uses of fomentations. They are listed below.
1. Acute injury: Immediately after an injury cold fomentation or ice can be kept over the area to prevent internal bleeding. The cold also helps to decrease the amount of blood lost.
a. Sports injuries
b. Acute Sprains of ankle
c. Knee joint injuries
2. Arthritis: Certain arthritic pains can be treated with application of cold therapy
3. Muscle action: After a stroke, patients are given icing to help to induce muscle action.
1. Sub acute and chronic injury: Heat can help the tissue to be relaxed and also accelerates the healing.
2. Increased blood supply: The increased healing is because of the increased blood supply that is due to the heat applied over the injured part.
3. Pain: Painful areas tend to be relieved of pain if the hot fomentations are applied over the painful area.
4. Muscle spasm: Muscle spasms are common when a person does a lot of work. Hot fomentations help to relieve these muscle spasms.
Method of applying fomentations:
There are various methods of applying fomentations. Hot and cold water fomentations can be applied with hot or cold water in a water tight bag. This is the easiest method of applying fomentations and can be done even in the house. Fomentations can also be done by keeping the water in a bottle and applied over the area. Towels are used to cover the bottle or bag depending on the heat needed.
There are also readymade hot packs and cold packs available that are expensive, but have the same effect as the previous method. These are also used for sports injuries.
In the Physical therapy departments, bigger units are available that have gel packs that are also used to give fomentations.
The other advantage about both hot and cold fomentations are that both these are natural treatments and do not have any side effects if used appropriately. This is the reason for the fomentations gaining popularity in all types of medicines.
Article Source: http://www.saching.com
About Author / Additional Info: I am a physiotherapist and also a freelance writer. I have been writing for many blogs and websites and also take up freelance assignments. Comments are welcome at firstname.lastname@example.org
* Traffic Building and best methods of increasing Google Adsense revenue
* Important health benefits of Kiwi Fruit that everyone should know
* Common Baby Sleep Problems: How to solve infant sleeping issues.
* How to quit addiction. Quit Smoking habit or Alcohol addiction.
* BPO Employees being falsely paid a lower salary in the name of Recession.
Does this article violate or infringe on your copyright ?
It is a violation of our terms for authors to submit content which they did not write and claim it as their own. If this article infringes on your copyrights, then use our Contact us form with the detailed proof of infringement along with the offending article's title, URL and writer name. If you do not hear back from us then contact us again in another 10 days. Thank you.
Comments on this article: (0 comments so far)
* Additional comments are now closed for this article *
Article Views: 20369
Copyright © 2010 saching.com - Do not copy articles from this website.
Important Disclaimer: All articles on this website are for general information only and is not a professional or experts advice. We do not own any responsibility for correctness or authenticity of the information presented in this article, or any loss or injury resulting from it. We do not endorse these articles, we are neither affiliated with the authors of these articles nor responsible for their content. Please see our disclaimer section for complete terms.