A community of people who love to write
The easiest domain name (Note the .ORG) - Absolutely Free!
Home | Submit Articles | Login
The various causes of leg cramps and their treatmentBY: Deena David | Category: Health and Fitness | Post Date: 2009-10-30
Leg cramps would have been experienced by almost all people at least once in their life. This is because though it is a medical condition, it is usually not very severe but can affect all groups of people from all ages. The causes of leg cramps can be very varied. The treatment of the leg cramps also depends on the cause of the leg cramp. Leg cramp can sometimes be due to some severe diseases too though most of the leg cramps are not severe and can be treated with little or no medications.
Causes of leg cramps:
1. Dehydration: This is the most common cause of leg cramps that is seen around the world. This can occur in people who have not eaten their food regularly due to various reasons. When the individual has not eaten, the electrolyte imbalance of the body increases and due to the lack of certain minerals in the body, the leg cramps occur.
2. Inactivity: When a person is inactive for a long time and then suddenly the person walks for some distance, the leg cramps can occur. This is because when the leg is inactive for a long time, the muscles are all relaxed and when they suddenly start working, there is an increased spasm of the muscles leading to leg spasm.
3. Excess and vigorous activity: When an individual does very excessive and vigorous activity, it causes the person to have leg cramps. This is commonly seen in many sports people. The individuals who play for a long time get dehydrated and this causes the leg cramps.
4. Mineral loss: Many minerals like Calcium and magnesium are very important for the normal functioning of the body. When a person has decreased amounts of these minerals due to various reasons, then leg cramps can occur.
5. Lactic acid: Another important reason for the leg cramps is the accumulation of lactic acid in the muscles of the person. When a person exercises excessively, there is a production of lactic acid and when this lactic acid is built more than a particular level, it leads to leg cramps.
6. Diseases: All the above reasons for the leg cramps are all very simple to treat. There can be additional conditions like Addisons disease and also varicose veins. These are conditions that are more serious and need intensive treatment to reduce the cramps.
Treatment for leg cramps:
There are various treatments that are possible for the leg cramps and these are based on the cause of the leg cramps. If the cramps in the leg are due to the disease, then adequate treatment is necessary for the leg cramps and the disease.
In all the other conditions of leg cramps, symptomatic treatment is the only thing that has to be done. If the individual is dehydrated, adequate rehydration will decrease the leg cramps. When the leg cramps occur due to inactivity, a graded activity program can be taught to the individual to treat the leg cramps.
These are the various causes and the treatments for leg cramps.
Article Source: http://www.saching.com
About Author / Additional Info: I have completed my Masters Degree in Paediatric Nursing. I am a writer with a passion for writing. I have been writing for some blogs and other sites. Comments are welcome at the following e mail address: email@example.com
* Pure Vegetarian? - Check out the ingredients label for Gelatin
* The most common reasons for divorce
* Scuderia Toro Rosso's New Stars and Stripes: Brook Johnston Arrives For Testing In Valencia
* Developing a Software is one Thing, Selling it is Another Story
* Various causes of Constipation: Pregnancy, age, fiber and more..
Does this article violate or infringe on your copyright ?
It is a violation of our terms for authors to submit content which they did not write and claim it as their own. If this article infringes on your copyrights, then use our Contact us form with the detailed proof of infringement along with the offending article's title, URL and writer name. If you do not hear back from us then contact us again in another 10 days. Thank you.
Comments on this article: (0 comments so far)
* Additional comments are now closed for this article *
Article Views: 2114
Copyright © 2010 saching.com - Do not copy articles from this website.
Important Disclaimer: All articles on this website are for general information only and is not a professional or experts advice. We do not own any responsibility for correctness or authenticity of the information presented in this article, or any loss or injury resulting from it. We do not endorse these articles, we are neither affiliated with the authors of these articles nor responsible for their content. Please see our disclaimer section for complete terms.