A community of people who love to write
The easiest domain name (Note the .ORG) - Absolutely Free!
Home | Submit Articles | Login
Sleep: Various health benefits of SleepingBY: Deena David | Category: Self Improvement | Post Date: 2009-08-19
Sleep is a time of rest for the body and also the mind. A person who has not slept for a long time will look and act like a zombie. In fact sleep is as essential as food and water for the body. Sleep combines both the physical being and the mind and gives rest to both. Even a small nap is highly beneficial to the body by giving adequate rest. In fact there are studies that have said that a nap in the afternoon increases the productivity of workers.
Sleep also has various health benefits. They are listed in this article:
1. Relaxation: Sleep helps in relaxing the mind and also the body. Without sleep a person will be tensed. The muscles will not be relaxed. This can lead to pain in the muscles. With adequate sleep, the mind is also relaxed. This will help the individual to plan and execute various activities with precision. Lack of sleep will make the individual make mistakes while doing any kind of work.
2. Stress buster: Sleep is one of the natural stress busters. An individual who is over worked should sleep. This will help to decrease the stress levels of the body. If the stress increases a great deal and the individual is not sleeping, then it can lead to hypertension and other such complications. So sleep can be considered as one of the body's natural stress reliever that can also reduce hypertension.
3. Mental function: The memory remains intact with increased relaxation. The mind also cools down. Those who do not sleep adequately can have hampered memory. This is not only problematic for their personal life, but it also makes their professional life suffer.
4. Detoxification: With increased sleep, the mind and the body are detoxified. This will help to prevent various diseases that can be caused by increased toxic products in the body. This theory is used in many traditional and ancient medicines like Ayurveda.
Time to sleep: The proverb says: ‘Early to bed and early to rise'. This is followed by few people. Most young people of today do just the opposite. They either work or party late and wake up late in the morning. This has led to various health problems in these individuals. Adequate sleep in the right time is necessary for the optimal functioning of the body.
Duration of sleep: The sleep that is necessary for the body is a minimum of six hours. It can even be up to eight hours. This will help the mind and the body to relax to the maximum and will help the individual to feel rejuvenated.
Environment: The place that a person sleeps should be devoid of any disturbances. This will increase the ability of the mind and the body to relax. Adequate support for the body is essential to keep the body relaxed. The position of the body should be either in side lying or lying face up. This will aid in adequate breathing and provide more relaxation.
Thus the importance of sleep in giving rest to the mind and body and their impact on normal body functioning can be seen.
Article Source: http://www.saching.com
About Author / Additional Info: I have completed my Masters Degree in Paediatric Nursing. I am a writer with a passion for writing. I have been writing for some blogs and other sites. Comments are welcome at the following e mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
* Common pains that can be a sign of a major disease
* BIM Positioning; The 2D world will never be the same.
* Overview of banks
* Alcoholism: How to know that you are drinking too much alcohol?
* Benefits of crying - Why do tears come when we cry - Do men cry?
Does this article violate or infringe on your copyright ?
It is a violation of our terms for authors to submit content which they did not write and claim it as their own. If this article infringes on your copyrights, then use our Contact us form with the detailed proof of infringement along with the offending article's title, URL and writer name. If you do not hear back from us then contact us again in another 10 days. Thank you.
Comments on this article: (0 comments so far)
* Additional comments are now closed for this article *
Article Views: 1481
Copyright © 2010 saching.com - Do not copy articles from this website.
Important Disclaimer: All articles on this website are for general information only and is not a professional or experts advice. We do not own any responsibility for correctness or authenticity of the information presented in this article, or any loss or injury resulting from it. We do not endorse these articles, we are neither affiliated with the authors of these articles nor responsible for their content. Please see our disclaimer section for complete terms.