A community of people who love to write
The easiest domain name (Note the .ORG) - Absolutely Free!
Home | Submit Articles | Login
Old Age Health Problems: Changes that occur in the body of a person.BY: Deena David | Category: Health and Fitness | Post Date: 2009-09-21
When a person gets old, there may be various health problems that can occur. The problems are due to the changes that occur in the body when a person gets old. Read on to find the various changes that occur in old age.
Old age is a peaceful age for millions of people. It may become tough after a few years if the individual starts having various health conditions. The person who is old should equip himself or herself with the necessary knowledge on what changes are likely to happen to their body when they start becoming old. This knowledge will help them from becoming panicky when something goes wrong in their body.
There are various changes that occur in the body of a person, as they get old. The changes are not caused by disease. The changes that happen in the body are mainly natural changes that occur due to the ageing process. The normal and natural ageing process causes various changes to the tissues in the body leading to diseases and health problems.
Changes that occur to the body in old age:
1. Muscular changes: As a person gets older, the muscles that were full of muscle tissue get replaced with fat tissue. The replacement by the fat tissue causes the muscle to lose the strength and become weak. This is the main reason for older people feeling weak. The muscle bulk also decreases with the changes that have been already mentioned above. As the muscle bulk decreases, the person many look thin. Some people may not look as thin as said above; instead the muscle bulk is replaced by tissue that is flabby. The reason behind this is that the fat tissue in the muscles makes the muscle look flabby.
2. Neurological changes: As the person gets old, there are various changes that occur in the nerves of the body. The individual nerves may have decreased functioning. This is because the conduction of various impulses in the nerves starts slowing down. This slowing down of the impulses can lead to permanent weakness. Other than the peripheral nerves, the central nervous system or the brain may also start losing function slowly. The reason is the loss of the important cells of the brain that start degenerating by themselves when a person becomes old. This again causes problems like forgetfulness and also tremors. These are the major problems that are encountered when there are neurological changes in old age.
3. Mental and psychological function: As a person gets old, another change that occurs is the changes in the mental or psychological function. The individual may start becoming confused at times. The person may also start feeling insecure when they become old. The reason behind these changes is that as a person gets old, the brain function diminishes due to degeneration of the brain cells. This leads to the above-mentioned changes.
4. Urinary problems: Many of the old people may have started feeling that they are not able to control their urine as they get old. The most common reason for this problem (in the absence of any other neurological problems) could be the weakness of the urinary muscles. This can be rectified with a visit to the Physiotherapist who will be able to teach exercises that will help to strengthen these muscles that are weak.
These are the various common health problems and changes that occur in the body of a person as they get old
Article Source: http://www.saching.com
About Author / Additional Info: I have completed my Masters Degree in Paediatric Nursing. I am a writer with a passion for writing. I have been writing for some blogs and other sites. Comments are welcome at the following e mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
* Crisis Changes Everything
* Structure of health care industry : Demand and supply
* Be Trendy And Wear Lots Of Clothing Accessories
* Brief History of Basketball and the Thirteen original rules
* Working late affects family concerns | Effects of long working hours on children
Does this article violate or infringe on your copyright ?
It is a violation of our terms for authors to submit content which they did not write and claim it as their own. If this article infringes on your copyrights, then use our Contact us form with the detailed proof of infringement along with the offending article's title, URL and writer name. If you do not hear back from us then contact us again in another 10 days. Thank you.
Comments on this article: (0 comments so far)
* Additional comments are now closed for this article *
Article Views: 19895
Copyright © 2010 saching.com - Do not copy articles from this website.
Important Disclaimer: All articles on this website are for general information only and is not a professional or experts advice. We do not own any responsibility for correctness or authenticity of the information presented in this article, or any loss or injury resulting from it. We do not endorse these articles, we are neither affiliated with the authors of these articles nor responsible for their content. Please see our disclaimer section for complete terms.