A community of people who love to write
The easiest domain name (Note the .ORG) - Absolutely Free!
Home | Submit Articles | Login
Importance of taxes: Why should we pay tax to the governmentBY: Tim | Category: Business and Finance | Post Date: 2009-06-18
All citizens of a country are morally and legally bound to pay their fair share of tax. In this article I will cover the importance of paying taxes to the government and why we should not do the mistake of hiding money or avoiding taxes. A large percentage of people who pay tax think as if government is trying to steal their hard earned money .. well thats not true. Money collected from taxes help a country to become stronger and help government provide a variety of services to its citizens.
Example of some services that government provides with our tax money:
1. Infrastructure Projects: Government needs money to build roads, bridges, dams and number of other projects which are available to the society as a whole.
2. Public Security: Money collected from taxes is used to provide police and fire departments. It also helps to fund money needed to maintain defense forces (army, navy and air-force) and buy arms for them.
3. General services: Keeping roads clean, water treatment, street lights, trash removal and maintenance of public parks requires lot of money.
4. Health Services: Almost all governments provide some level of free or subsidized health services to its citizens. This may include preventive immunization shots, disaster relief and many others. All this money is funded by the tax money you and I pay.
5. The list goes on: Maintenance of historic monuments, government aid, emergency relief, conduct elections, run several government institutions like department for agriculture, commerce, energy, urban development, treasury, judiciary, department of motor vehicles etc.
Types of taxes:
Government can impose taxes in many forms, for example: Income tax, Sales tax, Excise tax, Toll Tax, Recreation tax, social security, medicare etc ..
Does everyone has to pay tax?
It depends on country to country, but in most cases people with very low income do not have to pay tax.
Does everyone pay same tax?
Usually people with higher income pay a higher percentage of tax than the people with lower income.
Why should I still have to pay tax?
Think about this, if we only paid for the services we need then there is no way we could afford it. For example if you wanted to go from City A to City B, can you afford to pay for the construction of road that connects those two cities.. NO. You open tap and clean water flows out of it, if we were to put a filtration system on our own and a pipe that connects all the way to the nearby reservoir, it will cost just too much. Therefore we pay for these services in form of tax and use them as a whole society.
The result of not paying taxes could result in penalty and prison time. So next time when the time comes to pay taxes, do not feel too bad. It is your contribution to the services you receive in return.
Article Source: http://www.saching.com
About Author / Additional Info: Importance of taxes.
* The power of Astrology: Understanding horoscope & astrology science
* The role of nature in climate change and global warming
* The Miracle set by Mary Kay Ash
* Our Journey To Oblivion, India. Author: Rhea C Dhanbhoora
* Infinite wonder - In Kovalam, our senses are fed with sunshine, stories, seafood and siesta
Does this article violate or infringe on your copyright ?
It is a violation of our terms for authors to submit content which they did not write and claim it as their own. If this article infringes on your copyrights, then use our Contact us form with the detailed proof of infringement along with the offending article's title, URL and writer name. If you do not hear back from us then contact us again in another 10 days. Thank you.
Comments on this article: (1 comments so far)
* Additional comments are now closed for this article *
Article Views: 74482
Copyright © 2010 saching.com - Do not copy articles from this website.
Important Disclaimer: All articles on this website are for general information only and is not a professional or experts advice. We do not own any responsibility for correctness or authenticity of the information presented in this article, or any loss or injury resulting from it. We do not endorse these articles, we are neither affiliated with the authors of these articles nor responsible for their content. Please see our disclaimer section for complete terms.