A community of people who love to write
The easiest domain name (Note the .ORG) - Absolutely Free!
Home | Submit Articles | Login
Health benefits of a simple food : Brussel SproutsBY: David Prakash Kumar | Category: Food and Drinks | Post Date: 2009-08-30
The various health benefits of plants, fruits and vegetables have been used by humans to increase the longevity. It has also helped people to exist with decreased incidence of diseases and also by preventing various diseases. One of the foods that help to prevent disease and also cure others is brussel sprouts.
The various health benefits of brussel sprouts are listed in this article.
1. Vitamin C: Brussel sprouts are very important in the health of a person because of the high amount of Vitamin C that is present in it. When a 100 gram of brussel sprout is compared with the same weight of orange, the brussel sprout has twice the amount of Vitamin C as the orange.
The high amounts of Vitamin C in brussel sprouts help in the treatment of various health problems. The vitamin C helps to prevent cold and cough.
2. Brussel sprout is a vegetable. It looks like a small cabbage. It can be cooked and eaten as a side dish. It also invariably finds itself on the salads. When cooked, the nutritive value of brussel sprouts can decrease to an extent. This is because of the loss of various vitamins in the cooking process.
3. The nutritive value can be retained to an extent if the brussel sprouts are boiled. This will prevent a lot of the food value from being eliminated. This is the common reason for brussel sprouts being eaten as part of salads. Their health benefits are maximized if eaten raw.
4. Diabetes: The juice that can be made directly from crushing the brussel sprouts can be used to help diabetic patients to control their glucose levels in the blood. The juice can also be made after boiling the vegetable.
5. Infection control: Brussel sprouts also help in preventing various infections because of the presence of beta carotene and Vitamin A. The immunity is improved because of the prevention of infections. The person is able to resist many simple infections that might otherwise cause poor health. The presence of these things also helps to keep the skin supple.
6. Pregnancy: Brussel sprouts can be eaten during pregnancy because of the high amounts of folate present in the vegetable. Folic acid deficiency has been linked to various birth defects. This is the reason for brussel sprouts being recommended and added in the diet of a pregnant woman. The presence of folic acid also helps the nervous system of the fetus to develop. Though folic acid supplements are available, some people prefer natural folic acid present in brussel sprouts.
7. Detoxification: Brussel sprouts contain sulforaphane which helps to prevent toxic materials from staying in the body. The presence of sulforaphane helps to detoxify the body of the individual. This is an important health benefit because the detoxifying effect of brussel sprouts can be used in preventing cancer.
These are some of the most important health benefits of brussel sprouts. The use of this vegetable helps to prevent and cure some of the common health problems faced by people.
Article Source: http://www.saching.com
About Author / Additional Info: I am a physiotherapist and also a freelance writer. I have been writing for many blogs and websites and also take up freelance assignments. Comments are welcome at email@example.com
* UK's, USA's and India – What sets them apart?
* What is the correct age for a child to start Preschool and schooling?
* Better Security Practices - Dangers of Wi-Fi - Wireless internet.
* Extra-marital affairs among girls and ways to prevent them.
* Online marriage and matrimonial - Advantages and Disadvantages of internet marriages
Does this article violate or infringe on your copyright ?
It is a violation of our terms for authors to submit content which they did not write and claim it as their own. If this article infringes on your copyrights, then use our Contact us form with the detailed proof of infringement along with the offending article's title, URL and writer name. If you do not hear back from us then contact us again in another 10 days. Thank you.
Comments on this article: (0 comments so far)
* Additional comments are now closed for this article *
Article Views: 7466
Copyright © 2010 saching.com - Do not copy articles from this website.
Important Disclaimer: All articles on this website are for general information only and is not a professional or experts advice. We do not own any responsibility for correctness or authenticity of the information presented in this article, or any loss or injury resulting from it. We do not endorse these articles, we are neither affiliated with the authors of these articles nor responsible for their content. Please see our disclaimer section for complete terms.