A community of people who love to write
The easiest domain name (Note the .ORG) - Absolutely Free!
Home | Submit Articles | Login
Concept and meaning of counsellingBY: David Prakash Kumar | Category: Education | Post Date: 2009-07-19
Counselling actually means ‘giving advice'. It can also be thought of as a process in which a person is helped to explore the situation and find solution or answers for a problem. Counselling is a very important part of everyday life. Many people come to ask us advice on matters concerning the job that we do or about a personal crisis. The advise we give or the solutions we make them find are all various aspects of informal counselling.
Formal counselling is administered by a professional counsellor for those in need of counselling. The concept and meaning of counselling are explained in this article.
Concept of counselling:
1. Relationship: Counselling is a relationship between two people where one person attempts to assist the other to organize himself better to attain a form of happiness by adjusting to the situation.
2. Behaviours: The relationship between the counsellor and the client helps to openly discuss the problem faced by the client. This helps to increase the skills, courage and self confidence in the client and creates a new behaviour in the client.
3. New methods are explored to identify solutions for the perceived problem faced by the client. Sometimes, the client may not find a solution, but the thought of being able to share the problem with another person itself can give a satisfaction to the client.
4. Counselling also helps to develop a set of goals for future behaviour of an individual (Client).
Meaning of counselling:
Counselling is a method of guidance of an individual. It helps the client to grow to a greater maturity by allowing the individuals to take responsibilities and to make their own decisions.
It can be considered as a relationship between two people where
A. One individual seeks another's help
B. One person is willing to guide
C. The counsellor is trained to guide and counsel
D. The client and the counsellor are in a setting where help can be given and received.
Counselling is very necessary as the lives of people are getting complicated every day. Students and youngsters especially need professional counselling help for them to face the many problems of life. Many of them will be suicidal at one point of their life. Counsellors are a great help at those times.
Counselling can be used to help students and youngsters in their study habit formation, maintenance of mental health and also to help them achieve maximum efficiency in all their activities. This tells of the importance of counselling, especially for youngsters.
Article Source: http://www.saching.com
About Author / Additional Info: I am a physiotherapist by profession. A writer by interest. I take up freelance assignments for various websites and blogs. Comments are welcome at email@example.com
* Reggae : An unique experience
* Colored Thoughts
* Face Reading Basics - A study of human face and its characteristics
* The amazing health benefits of raspberries everyone should know
* Why the English Premier League is Like No Other. By Fahman Rabbani
Does this article violate or infringe on your copyright ?
It is a violation of our terms for authors to submit content which they did not write and claim it as their own. If this article infringes on your copyrights, then use our Contact us form with the detailed proof of infringement along with the offending article's title, URL and writer name. If you do not hear back from us then contact us again in another 10 days. Thank you.
Comments on this article: (0 comments so far)
* Additional comments are now closed for this article *
Article Views: 38180
Copyright © 2010 saching.com - Do not copy articles from this website.
Important Disclaimer: All articles on this website are for general information only and is not a professional or experts advice. We do not own any responsibility for correctness or authenticity of the information presented in this article, or any loss or injury resulting from it. We do not endorse these articles, we are neither affiliated with the authors of these articles nor responsible for their content. Please see our disclaimer section for complete terms.