A community of people who love to write
The easiest domain name (Note the .ORG) - Absolutely Free!
Home | Submit Articles | Login
Common diseases that can be spread by blood transfusionBY: David Prakash Kumar | Category: Health and Fitness | Post Date: 2009-08-16
With the advancement of medical techniques and medical knowledge, blood transfusions have become very common. The blood transfusion is being done with great ease in many health centers. Increased number of blood transfusions has led to an increase in the number of diseases that have been spread because of these transfusions.
There are some diseases that are commonly spread by blood transfusions. These can lead to fatalities in the people in whom blood was transfused. The reason for this transmission of diseases through the transfusion of blood is due to emergencies where sometimes blood can be transfused without adequate testing for diseases, human error and also because of inadequate infrastructure.
This article talks of the various diseases that can be transmitted by blood transfusions.
1. HIV (Human Immuno deficiency virus) This virus causes AIDS. In 1982, for the first time, a child in the United States of America got infected with this virus due to blood transfusion. From that time onwards, all donors were tested for the presence of the virus before their blood was taken for transfusion. In spite of this, there are instances where the blood donors who were HIV positive have donated blood and the blood was transfused and the recipients have got AIDS. This is because sometimes the person donating blood could have been asymptomatic and the virus may not have been identified in the blood.
2. HCV (Hepatitis C virus): This is a RNA virus that causes chronic liver disease. This is usually transmitted by needle stick injuries and also blood transfusions. Presence of anti HCV antibodies in the blood of the donor helps the health care worker to identify the presence of the virus.
3. HBV (Hepatitis B Virus): This is a DNA virus and is spread usually by parental transmission. This can also cause liver probl;ems if transmitted by blood transfusions.
4. CMV (Cyto Megalo Virus) : This is very important because in immuno compromised individuals or those who have problems in the immune system, this virus can cause various problems. This is another virus that can cause disease and can be spread by blood transfusions.
5. There are other viruses that can also be present in the blood of the donor that can cause diseases in the recipient if the blood is transfused. These are Human T cell Lymphotrophic Virus, Parovirus, Ebstein Barr virus, West Nile virus and Herpes virus.
6. Syphilis: This is a sexually transmitted disease. This is caused by treponema pallidum. This disease can also be transmitted by blood transfusions from an affected individual donating blood and it being transfused into a normal individual. This is the reason for tests detecting this disease being mandatory before blood is donated.
7. Malaria: Transmission transmitted malaria is very less. If the malarial parasite is detected in the blood of the donor, then it is best not transfused into the recipient. Donors having history of fever and chills which are usual signs of malaria are asked to defer from blood donation.
These are some of the most common diseases that can be spread by blood transfusion. Proper screening methods are necessary to prevent spread of the disease to the already sick individual who is in need of blood.
Article Source: http://www.saching.com
About Author / Additional Info: I am a physiotherapist and also a freelance writer. I have been writing for many blogs and websites and also take up freelance assignments. Comments are welcome at firstname.lastname@example.org
* Audio enchantment - In the times of TV & Internet how does Radio survive?
* JOBLESS !! .. THEN READ IT
* STUDIES ON EVALUATION OF TEACHERS (IN INDIA AND ABROAD) - IV
* Email Marketing Lists: Building Your Own Business Email Database
* My Personal Trekking Experience, India. By Namita Vyavaharkar
Does this article violate or infringe on your copyright ?
It is a violation of our terms for authors to submit content which they did not write and claim it as their own. If this article infringes on your copyrights, then use our Contact us form with the detailed proof of infringement along with the offending article's title, URL and writer name. If you do not hear back from us then contact us again in another 10 days. Thank you.
Comments on this article: (0 comments so far)
* Additional comments are now closed for this article *
Article Views: 6239
Copyright © 2010 saching.com - Do not copy articles from this website.
Important Disclaimer: All articles on this website are for general information only and is not a professional or experts advice. We do not own any responsibility for correctness or authenticity of the information presented in this article, or any loss or injury resulting from it. We do not endorse these articles, we are neither affiliated with the authors of these articles nor responsible for their content. Please see our disclaimer section for complete terms.