A community of people who love to write
The easiest domain name (Note the .ORG) - Absolutely Free!
Home | Submit Articles | Login
Bedwetting: Causes, treatment and preventionBY: Deena David | Category: Health and Fitness | Post Date: 2009-08-12
Bedwetting is also known as Enuresis. This can be a very disabling problem in young children. There are many causes for bedwetting and the treatment for bedwetting depends on the cause of enuresis. Bedwetting can cause loss of confidence in the child and it can also lead to psychological problems. This is the reason why this condition has to be dealt with carefully.
Normally the child has to stop bedwetting at the age of six in girls and seven in boys. Sometimes there can be a mild delay in stopping to bed wet. Usually the incidence of bedwetting is more in men than in women. There are basically two types of enuresis. When the child has not stayed dry even after the said age, it is called as primary bedwetting. When the child has had a dry period and again starts bedwetting, it is called as secondary bedwetting.
Causes of bedwetting:
There are various causes of bedwetting that are listed below:
1. Psychological causes: When the child is stressed, then the incidence of bedwetting can increase. This can occur when the child starts going to school or when the parents either separate or have a divorce. These stressful events can cause bedwetting in children.
2. Anatomical causes: There can be malformations in the genitor urinary system that can also lead to bedwetting in children.
3. Development problems: When the child has diseases like Down's syndrome or Attention deficit disorder, there can be an increased incidence of bedwetting in such children.
4. Diseases: Bedwetting can also occur if there are diseases where there is excess production of urine. This is very common in diseases like Diabetes. It can also occur in conditions like urinary infection where bedwetting increases.
5. Other causes: There can also be other simple causes like:
a. Increased intake of fluids before sleeping.
b. When the child is in a deep sleep, there can be bedwetting.
c. Oversleeping can also cause bedwetting.
Prevention of bedwetting:
Psychological support and preventing the child from being stressed can help in preventing the incidence of bedwetting in children.
Treatment of bedwetting:
There are various treatments for bedwetting, but most of these treatments depend on the cause of bedwetting. The treatment controls the cause and relieves the effect which is bedwetting.
1. Counselling: The child needs counselling to reduce stress. Parents need counselling to support the child and not scold the child. This is one of the major treatments for bedwetting.
2. Correction: Correction of the genito urinary malformations will also help in reducing the incidence of bedwetting.
3. Diseases: Treating the diseases like diabetes and urinary infection will also help in reducing the incidence of bedwetting.
4. Medications: There are medications available that can help to reduce the amount of urine produced in the body. This can be got by consulting a physician.
5. Practical tips: There are also some practical tips that can help in reducing and also preventing the incidence of bedwetting. This is to control the amount of fluid intake. Once there is a decreased intake of fluids in the night, then there will be decreased production of urine. Another thing that can be done is to have the toilet near the bedroom of the child or having a potty in the room itself to help the child to prevent bedwetting.
Article Source: http://www.saching.com
About Author / Additional Info: I have completed my Masters Degree in Paediatric Nursing. I am a writer with a passion for writing. I have been writing for some blogs and other sites. Comments are welcome at the following e mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
* Types Of Politicians - Honest And Corrupt Politicians
* Learn the best tips on how to write good article titles or headlines
* Some words for those, who got pain in love
* THE BENGAL BRIGADE - Yesterday and Today | Famous Bengalis
* WHO IS A FOOL? you think you know who a fool is?, who are those the bible regards as a fool?
Does this article violate or infringe on your copyright ?
It is a violation of our terms for authors to submit content which they did not write and claim it as their own. If this article infringes on your copyrights, then use our Contact us form with the detailed proof of infringement along with the offending article's title, URL and writer name. If you do not hear back from us then contact us again in another 10 days. Thank you.
Comments on this article: (0 comments so far)
* Additional comments are now closed for this article *
Article Views: 3571
Copyright © 2010 saching.com - Do not copy articles from this website.
Important Disclaimer: All articles on this website are for general information only and is not a professional or experts advice. We do not own any responsibility for correctness or authenticity of the information presented in this article, or any loss or injury resulting from it. We do not endorse these articles, we are neither affiliated with the authors of these articles nor responsible for their content. Please see our disclaimer section for complete terms.