A community of people who love to write
The easiest domain name (Note the .ORG) - Absolutely Free!
Home | Submit Articles | Login
All about Coriander and their health benefits. Green Cilantro leavesBY: Deena David | Category: Food and Drinks | Post Date: 2009-07-21
Coriander is a plant that was used for medicinal purposes and health benefits from ancient times. It was, in fact used by Hippocrates and other Greek physicians for medicinal purposes. The Romans used coriander widely and they were the ones who introduced it into Great Britain. From there the use of coriander spread all over the world. Other than being used in cooking, coriander has a wide range of health benefits.
It is mainly grown in Mediterranean areas and also in Asia. It is an annual herb. It grows in the wild and also in plantations. It finds a mention in the Bible, where the manna provided by God for the Israelites was like coriander seed.
Both coriander plant and the coriander seeds are used for their health benefits and also in cooking. The coriander leaf must be used fresh as it will lose its effects if it is stored. The coriander leaves are referred in America as Cilantro. The seeds of coriander plant can be used for flavoring foods such as vegetables, soups, breads, cakes and salads. Coriander seed extract is also used in the perfumery industry to provide a pleasant woodland fragrance.
Health benefits of Coriander:
1. Coriander seeds are used as a digestive aid to treat stomach disorders in traditional Chinese, Indian and European medicine. It was also used in combination with seeds like cardamom, fennel etc.
2. The coriander seeds can be used to make medicinal teas to soothe an upset stomach and also treat indigestion.
3. It also helps to stimulate the appetite because of its digestive properties.
4. Coriander can sometimes be a component of laxative remedy and a medication for diarrhoea.
5. The seeds can also be used to treat bad breath. This is because of the good smell of the coriander seeds as well as the herb.
6. It can also be used to treat colic.
7. The coriander is also mildly anti cancerous and helps to prevent cancer.
8. It also has blood thinning properties.
9. It can also be used as an anti oxidant and anti inflammatory agent.
10. It is a natural antibiotic and can help to protect against various food borne illnesses.
Coriander is a safe food. It does not have any side effects. It can also be used safely during pregnancy. Ground coriander seeds can lose their flavor when they are stored for a long time. So they should be stored in air tight containers. Better still would be to grind the coriander seeds whenever necessary.
The medicinal properties and health benefits of coriander can be fully used by making them as part of the routine diet. This will help to prevent various diseases and keep a person healthy.
Article Source: http://www.saching.com
About Author / Additional Info: I am a Masters Degree holder in Pediatric Nursing. I also do freelance writing work. I am also interested in technology and computer applications. Comments on the article can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
* How To Evaluate Web Designers And Choose The Right One For You
* Stock market's uncertain times: Trader market vs investor market
* How to get Six Pack Abs quickly
* Recycle paper : Save the environment.
* Why does Indian cricket team's peformance is not consistent
Does this article violate or infringe on your copyright ?
It is a violation of our terms for authors to submit content which they did not write and claim it as their own. If this article infringes on your copyrights, then use our Contact us form with the detailed proof of infringement along with the offending article's title, URL and writer name. If you do not hear back from us then contact us again in another 10 days. Thank you.
Comments on this article: (0 comments so far)
* Additional comments are now closed for this article *
Article Views: 5977
Copyright © 2010 saching.com - Do not copy articles from this website.
Important Disclaimer: All articles on this website are for general information only and is not a professional or experts advice. We do not own any responsibility for correctness or authenticity of the information presented in this article, or any loss or injury resulting from it. We do not endorse these articles, we are neither affiliated with the authors of these articles nor responsible for their content. Please see our disclaimer section for complete terms.